There are many excellent places to take a date out in Guelph. Dinner out and watching a movie is okay, but for something new and interesting try one of the following date ideas.
1. If the weather is nice you could have a picnic outside. The Arboretum and Riverside Park are both ideal locations.
2. See a live performance together at the River Run Centre downtown. The River Run Centre is a perfect venue to see plays, comedians, orchestras, and ballets.
3. Guelph has many brewery tours. Just make sure that you cab it or one of you is the designated driver! Some of Guelph’s breweries include:
- Royal City Brewery
- Sleemans Brewery
- Stonehammer Brewery
- Wellington Brewery
4. If you prefer coffee over beer you could spend a morning or afternoon chatting over coffee. Some of Guelph’s many wonderful coffee shops include the Red Brick cafe, Balzac’s Guelph, Planet Bean, and the Joint Cafe.
5. Go to a book store and choose a book for your partner. I like the Bookshelf downtown and Chapters.
6. Take a class together. You could sign up together for an art class or workshop through the Guelph School of Art; they offer classes in painting, sculpting, printmaking and more. Dance lessons together might be fun. The City of Guelph (regexpress) and Continuing Education also offer adult classes in a variety of categories. Learning something new together could be a great way to bond.
7. Admire art together at the Art Gallery of Guelph (formerly the Macdonald Stewart Art Centre).
8. Instead of dinner, you could go out for brunch. Two of my personal favourite brunch spots are With the Grain and Cornerstone.
9. Re-create your first or most memorable date. (I’d have to go all the way to Seoul, South Korea to do that so this one won’t work for me!)
10. Play board games against each other at the Round Table, Guelph’s board game cafe. They have old favourites from your childhood and the latest board games. Or dust off a board game and play at home after your children are sleeping.
11. Play With Clay downtown is a fun date idea. You can each chose your own mug, plate or decoration or you can work on one as a couple. My husband and I went to Play With Clay for Valentine’s Day a few years ago and we had a great time.
12. If it’s warm outside, try canoeing or kayaking. There are rentals at the Boathouse downtown.
13. Again if the weather is nice outside go for a bike ride together.
14. Sign up for a fun run together. You can train together beforehand. There are many 5k and 10k races in the area and if you want something other then a regular run there are mud runs with obstacles or colour runs to enjoy.